« Home | How we met, part 1 » | Dress Shopping Begins! » | If it's in the newspaper, it must be official! » | Who's who? » | Welcome to the Wedding Blog! » 

Friday, January 13, 2006 

Ah, Bella Mia!

My first day of dress shopping was fun, and a little frustrating at the same time. I chose to go to Bella Mia because of the trunk show and thought they'd have all the designer's dresses, but they didn't have Rebecca and I only got to try on 2 of that desinger's dresses. I know she was also trying to help me figure out what I liked, but I tried on 6 dresses, and only liked the 2 Maggies.

The first dress was a V-neck sleeveless dress with a defined waistline and lots of beading on the bodice. I didn't like all the beading, the defined waist, and, it turns out, I didn't like the V neck either.

This is the second dress I tried on. I loved the cap sleeves, which are removable, and the embroidery on the bodice, the skirt, and the amazing train. Reri fell in LOVE with the train embroidery, because it starts alongside the corset lacing in the back, all down the back, and then pools out at the bottom. The overbustle was gorgeous. I was just a little concerned that the embroidery was a little too much, big and scroll-y, and the overskirt/underskirt felt almost too stiff, but overall I really loved it. It was even a size too big for me so she couldn't lace it any tighter. What a nice feeling to be too small for a gorgeous dress like this!

This was the third dress I tried on. I loved this one even more than the last one. When I first put it on I was concerned that it was too sparkly in the embroidery, but when I went out into the main room it didn't seem like too much. I liked the side-sweeping skirt better than the open-down-the-front skirt, and the embroidery was more dainty, more me. Reri still loved the other train embroidery, but this one was really nice. It started about 3/4 down the back of the train, so an underbustle didn't lose any of the embroidery. The cap sleeves, again removable, are very beaded, almost too much so. This one was 2 sizes smaller than the previous dress, so she laced up the corset back nice and tight, and I felt surprisingly comfortable in it! If I were to buy my dress today and be this size for the wedding, I'd buy the size in-between. However, I'm planning to lose some weight so I'll probably buy this size dress.

I tried on another v-neck, a halter, and an off-the shoulder. They were all too small, and they just weren't right.

So after my first day of dress shopping, here's a few things I learned:
1. I need to buy my own strapless bra. 'nuff said.
2. I can definitely do a strapless dress without fear of falling down (or falling out!).
3. Halter tops make me look even more broad-shouldered than I already am.
4. Cap sleeves can be nice for the ceremony if I need them for the church (not sure on that one), but I'll be more comfortable dancing without them.
5. Off-white is called Diamond White, which is more white than Ivory. I like both Diamond White and Ivory for my skin tone.
6. Corset backs won't need any tailoring after they arrive, because they can be laced to exactly the right size. I can lace it up nice and tight for the ceremony, and then let it out a little so I can eat and dance at the reception.
7. It costs an extra $100 to get a shorter dress when it's ordered. Huh. I pay more for less material! But I guess it's cheaper than getting it fixed afterwards by a seamstress.
8. I know myself pretty well. The 2 dresses I thought I'd like were the only ones I really did like.
9. I might look better when trying on dresses with more makeup on, so I get a better idea of how the whole look goes together.

Those are gorgeous! I hated wedding dress shopping, especially since they make you buy one or two or three sizes larger than you wear, but you can't go wrong with either of those!

Post a Comment